Monday, August 4, 2014

Lucerne

3 years later - no DMA yet, but I only have the final major hurdle of writing left.

I also have a completely different musical life, and a new midwestern city (Kansas City, MO) to call home.  more on KCMO later...

I would never, ever have imagined that today, I would be sitting on the "2nd floor" (3rd) of a beautiful home in Lucerne, Switzerland, listening to the sound of a gentle Alpine thunderstorm mixed with the tones of train brakes, occasional EU police sirens, church bells, far-off neighbors and animals? not sure yet. 

After sending off the rushed audition tape (impending sore throat and out-of-town Quince gig meant I had to record the day I learned the pieces), I wasn't expecting to hear anything back, as that's the standard these days - many companies can't be bothered to even send a "no thanks, you can stop waiting to hear from us now" email. That's rude, but we just accept it. Singers or instrumentalists, or regular people applying to jobs have to send out polished, beautiful materials and often money to companies, for the possible privilege of a 5 minute live audition, and sometimes not even that. Companies can charge a premium in "consideration fees". . .it's a YAPRacket.

I don't have the heart for it - more power to those of you that do, and for those of you who reap benefits from this system, I am glad.

Anyway - Lucerne's application was simple (well, if you consider learning 4 Berio Folk Songs in a day and recording them unaccompanied "simple") and FREE. I didn't pay a dime to the Festival Academy, which is as refreshing as the breeze here can't resist the cheeze Liz.

I am still shocked that I was chosen for this year's Lucerne Festival Academy, singing Berio's Coro under Sir Simon Rattle.  THAT'S REAL THAT'S REALLY HAPPENING. And I inadvertently achieved one of my vague should probably fix that career goals - being invited to perform in Europe, and not having to pay my own way to get there.  I am grateful, and lucky, and I know that.

The plane-fog is wearing off, finally - time to go see more of my temporary home!

thanks be to those that have helped me become the musician I am today - inspirational singers like Amanda, Kayleigh, Carrie, and Aubrey - my Quince ladies; Tony Arnold, in a class by herself; Dr. Schoonmaker Rodgers, Ms. Stiles, and Sheila Murphy - my teachers, Dr. Shrude who keeps prodding me into doing good things; Dr. Pelletier ANDY who also is an expert inspiration and laziness vanquisher; and my family - Gary, JJ and Em, and my beautiful and ever-supportive parents. You didn't get a CDC physician for a daughter like you thought you would...but you seem okay with it. Especially now that ebola has returned as a threat.

No comments:

Post a Comment