Sunday, August 10, 2014

Weggis

We had a day off today! Some folks hiked up Mt. Pilatus. I would likely have joined them, but I made plans to meet a lovely friend who lives in Frick, Schweitz, here in Luzern. She had brought another flute friend, and the three of us chatted amongst picture taking sessions along the lakeside. We walked through the far part of the Old Town, past an amateur Carnaval band. . .I forget the name. Gugge-band?

Adventure one for the day: taking a boat from Luzern to Weggis and back - stopping for coffee and kuchen (in my case, white chocolate cake) in the town of Weggis before catching the ferry home. The lake offers the most beautiful views - including some distant snowcapped mountains behind the green-capped mountains in front!  The day was growing very warm - but before the ladies caught their train home, we had just enough time for me to take them to Löwenplatz - both really enjoyed seeing the memorial monument (and the gift shop antique store near it).

After they left, I was feeling a little gekocht, so I picked up some groceries at the COOP in the train station (bread, cheese sampler, salad, and peanuts) - and went home to rest through the warmth. I have this problem here where I feel guilty for sitting inside and doing little - but my legs have been hurting the last few days, so I took it easy for an hour before venturing back out to swim.

Adventure two for the day: SWIMMING in the Vierwaldstättersee - Lake Lucerne.  Not quite as rocky as Lago Maggiore - the beach is sand instead of pebble. However, it's still a painful walk in, and COLD.  SO cold. And perfect for the slightly sunburnt.  I was happy to find a handful of other choristers already there, so I could leave my things near friends who were sunbathing. Another group showed up, and after swimming a bit, we went in search of food. This was the Pilatus hiking group, who were all a little zombied from physical effort up a MOUNTAIN. 

I didn't have enough cash left for the day, so I sat with them while they ate the food from Sky Asia take-away. . .and went home to more salad, cheese, and peanuts. And a beer Chelsea recommended - Unser Bier's Schwartzbier (from Basel!)

And now, I'm enjoying an extended IMessage conversation with my dear Gary. It's been too many days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment