Wednesday, August 20, 2014

#sirsimonsays

I have been keeping track of the delightful utterances of our esteemed leaders for Coro. They shall be catalogued and shared at a later date. For today, it involved my dear colleague Justine, a diminuitive lady who gets to sing a few WONDERFULLY clarion yell/sing solos, to whom Sir Simon referred as "the bonsai Brünnhilde".

Rehearsing with a venerated member of the Western Art Music community has been a little surreal - mostly because it feels strangely normal. I would like to hope it's that though I understand the honor and privilege - I afford the same respect to most conductors (until, say, something happens that their favor is lost with me...like condescending assholery, tantrums, or any action designed to demean players).  Sir Simon Rattle is charming, has great ears, and his absolute joy in making music with us is infectious.

In gushy news of a non-musical-type, I have the best host family, ever. A few days ago, after the failed adventure to Landi (a store comparable to Farm & Fleet, or Menards), I explained to Heinz what had happened and that our mission was unfinished. He said he'd check to see if Landi even had cowbells, and would price them for me. Fast forward to this morning, when Susi mentioned that she had called the Landi and confirmed, yes, they do have cowbells. She offered to drive me to the branch nearby(that is less accessible by bus) - so, I took my very first ride on a moped (Susi's beautiful blue manual-shift Vespa).

The bells I bought are simple, but sturdy and beautiful steel. And sound great!  Fast forward again to this evening, when Susi sees me, and explains that apparently, Heinz had the same idea as us, and went to another Landi and just bought me a bell as a gift. So, I now have enough cow bells (in three sizes; they make a nice chord).  This family is the SWEETEST. I don't know what I'm going to be able to do to thank them. I feel so welcome.

Since it was a bit of a cool day, and Dwight asked, I spent some time repetiteusing in the Obergrundstrasse building this afternoon - a string of people came in and out, and we found songs to play between my tablet and others' folders of sheet-music. Two hours passed in my near-favorite way: sightreading and getting to experience others' artistry and voices through the ephemeral "collaboration" of reading music. Good thing most of 'em know Schubert and too bad some of the songs they know are too hard for meeeeee.

With only a few days left, I'm going to have to spend my time and remaining francs wisely!

No comments:

Post a Comment